Prerequisites to Register
- Minimum of *13 years old in the greater Calgary & Edmonton areas and *12 years old elsewhere (*all ages listed are as of December 31 of the current hockey season)
- Contact your local RIC (Referee-In-Chief) to find out when they might be hosting a local in-person clinic
- In order to register for a clinic you must have an HCR 3.0 account - Create an HCR 3.0 Account >
- Once your account has been created you need to link it to your previous account - LINK ACCOUNT >
- Register for the HU - ONLINE Officiating 1/2 this on-demand course takes approximately three hours to complete, costs approximately $25 and must be completed prior to registering for an in-person clinic
- Once you have completed the HU - ONLINE Officiating 1/2 you can register for an in-person clinic
- Hockey Alberta runs about 400 in-person clinics all across the province throughout September-December annually, they cost between $110-$130 to attend and to be certified to officiate hockey
- After creating your account CLICK HERE to go be re-directed to the dates and locations section of the website and follow the appropriate steps to register for an in-person clinic, pre-registration is mandatory
- In-person clinics will consist of classroom sessions and on-ice sessions. Bring your skates, helmet (with visor) and a whistle to the in-person clinic
LEVEL 1: Prepare a young or new official to officiate minor hockey.
- New official (any age) or returning officials 14 years of age and younger
- Minimum age: 12 years; Maximum age: 14
LEVEL 2: Further enhance the training and skills of minor hockey officials.
- Officials 15 years of age or older
LEVEL 3: Prepare officials capable of refereeing minor hockey playoffs, minor hockey regional playoffs and female national championships, or being linesmen in Junior B, C, D, Senior and U15 or U18 regional championships.
- Fully certified Level 2 official
- Minimum one year of Level 2 officiating experience
LEVEL MEMBER HIGH PERFORMANCE: Prepare hockey officials capable of refereeing Senior, Junior A, B, C, D, minor hockey regional and national championships, female hockey national championships and designated minor hockey IIHF competition, or being a linesman in Major Junior, Junior A, Senior, CIS, CCAA, inter-branch and IIHF competition.
- Fully certified Level 3 official
- Minimum one year of Level 3 officiating experience
LEVEL NATIONAL HIGH PERFORMANCE: Prepare competent officials to referee Major Junior, Junior A, Senior, CIS, and inter-branch playoffs.
- Fully certified Level MHP official
- Minimum one year of Level 4 officiating experience
*all ages listed are as of December 31 of the current hockey season