Prerequisites to Register
- Minimum of 13 years old.
- Register for the "HU-Officiating 1/2" Clinic. You must complete the Hockey University Officiating online course prior to registering for an in-class clinic. The course takes approximately three hours to complete.
- Once you have completed the online course, register for an in-class clinic.
- In order to register for a clinic on line you must have an eHockey account. Set up eHockey Account >
- After creating your account CLICK HERE to go be re-directed to the Dates and Locations section of the website and follow the appropriate steps to register. Pre-registration is required. You cannot just show up to a clinic and expect to be able to attend as we have limited spots available based on the number of instructors assigned to the clinic.
- All clinics consist of classroom sessions and on-ice sessions. Bring your skates, helmet (with visor) and a Whistle to your on-ice session.
LEVEL I: Prepare a young or new official to officiate minor hockey.
- New official (any age) or returning officials younger than 16 years
- Minimum age: 13 years; Maximum age: none
LEVEL II: Further enhance the training and skills of minor hockey officials.
- Returning youth officials 16 years or older, or returning adult officials
LEVEL III: Prepare officials capable of refereeing minor hockey playoffs, minor hockey regional playoffs and female national championships, or being linesmen in Junior B, C, D, Senior and U15 or U18 regional championships.
- Fully certified Level 2 official
- Minimum one year of Level 2 officiating experience
LEVEL IV: Prepare hockey officials capable of refereeing Senior, Junior A, B, C, D, minor hockey regional and national championships, female hockey national championships and designated minor hockey IIHF competition, or being a linesman in Major Junior, Junior A, Senior, CIS, CCAA, inter-branch and IIHF competition.
- Fully certified Level 3 official
- Minimum one year of Level 3 officiating experience
LEVEL V: Prepare competent officials to referee Major Junior, Junior A, Senior, CIS, and inter-branch playoffs.
- Fully certified Level 4 official
- Minimum one year of Level 4 officiating experience
LEVEL VI: Prepare competent officials capable of refereeing at national championships and designated IIHF competition (i.e. Memorial Cup, RBC Cup, Allan Cup, Hardy Cup, University Cup, CCAA finals, world championships, Olympics, FISU Games).
- Fully certified Level 5 official, including fitness tests
- Minimum one year of Level 5 officiating experience
(NOTE: all ages listed are as of December 31)