Hockey Alberta Officials Committee Scholarship
Annually – Maximum of three (3) awards of up to $1,500.
Scholarships are presented to applicants who meet the following criteria:
· A member in good standing with Hockey Alberta in the current season with a minimum of Level 2 certification.
· A resident of Alberta for at least 2 years.
· 18 years of age by December 15 of the season s/he is applying for scholarship.
· An active official, working games at any level.
· Attending a post-secondary institution in a recognized program on a full time basis, including a recognized trade school program. Transcript of class enrolment is required.
Other criteria will include, but is not limited to, the applicant’s on-ice ability and off-ice contribution to his/her Region.
Application deadline is April 1 of each year.
Applicant could be applying for the year just being completed in order to qualify.
Kenneth R. Stiles Scholarship
The Kenneth R. Stiles Memorial Scholarship was established by the Seaman Hotchkiss Hockey Foundation (formerly Project 75) and Hockey Canada in recognition of Ken Stiles and his tremendous contribution to grassroots hockey in Canada.
Through the vision and leadership of the Seaman Hotchkiss Hockey Foundation, many Hockey Canada development programs have received their start. The Hockey Canada Officiating Program of Excellence is an excellent example of this support.
The Seaman Hotchkiss Hockey Foundation is committed to providing Canadian student athletes and officials with access to financial resources to support their pursuit of post-secondary education.
Scholarships are allocated (one major award of $5,000 and three minor awards of $1,000 each) for both Male and Female officials. Male recipients must have been part of the Hockey Canada OPEO in the past and female officials must be at minimum Level 3 certification.
The deadline for applications is April 15, 2022. Full criteria are included in the application form package.
Edmonton Invitational TOC Scholarship
The Edmonton Invitational Bantam Tournament of Champions is providing the North Region Officials with a $1000 scholarship to be awarded to an official who officiated at the Bantam level this season. Officiating in the annual Edmonton Invitational Bantam Tournament (EBIT) of Champions would be a plus. The funds will be held in escrow until the official provides the EBIT Scholarship Committee with an official receipt showing proof of registration or tuition payment to a post-secondary education institution. Should the official not provide such and reach the age of 23 years old, the scholarship will be returned to the EBIT Scholarship Fund.
The criteria for the award is:
1. Academic accolades (current marks as of April 1). A letter from current registered school will provide information.
2. Athletic accolades, if any.
3. Applicant to write an essay (minimum 200 words) outlining why s/he deserves the scholarship and what being an official has done for him or her.
4. Letters of Reference.
Please apply to the EBIT Scholarship Committee no later than April 1. Nominees may be interviewed.
Only the successful candidate will be notified, and the name will be posted on the EBIT and Hockey Alberta Officials website. No individual can win more than one scholarship.
Colin Hackett Scholarship
Annually – Maximum of one award up to $1,000.
The successful applicant must meet all of the following criteria:
· A member in good standing with the North Region and at a minimum a Level 2 official.
· Resident of the Region for the past season and the current season.
· 18 years of age by December 15 of the current season.
· Active official working games in the North Region.
· Attending a post secondary institution in a recognized program on a full time basis (min. of three classes per semester).
· Volunteer experience you have provided as a mentor/leader on and off the ice.
SCHOLARSHIP SELECTION COMMITTEE
A scholarship committee will select the winner each year. The committee consists of two executive members and one member at large.
The application period is January 1 to March 1 each year. Applications will not be considered received until all the required information has been received by the committee.
Here is a link to the application: Colin Hackett Scholarship application
All scholarships can be applied for at www.hockeyalberta.ca under the Officials tab for the North Region.