news and updates
Congratulations to Fraser Lawrence, Kyle Kowalski and Deion Foster on being selected to skate the World Juniors!
Premier Kenney announced on Tuesday Dec. 8 the temporary closure of all indoor recreation facilities, including arenas. The announcement also included all indoor and outdoor social gatherings (public and private) being prohibited and that outdoor group activity, including team sports, must be limited to 10 people or fewer with all participants from different households maintaining a physical distance of 2 meters from each other at all times.
Unfortunately, this means that all hockey activity, Province wide, must stop as of Sunday, December 13th at 12:00am. Although there is no definitive end date, the government did state that the new public health order will be in effect for a minimum of 4 weeks.
Colin Hackett Memorial Scholarship
Check out the Western Canada Officiating Development Video Partnership. This partnership is a series of videos circulated to all registered officials to assist with their development.
Click on a tab below for more info, or email an executive member.
Chair: Herman Costa
|Vice-Chair: Colin Watt|
|Secretary: Sanjeev Bhagrath||Treasurer: Alex Homer|
|U18 AA, Golf: Kyle Hudon||Social, Rural Development, Sledge, Local RIC Liaison: Dennis Arski|
|Minor Committee, Golf: Alex Verhaeghe||Awards, Scholarships: Chris Despot|
|Discipline Coordinator: Stefan Brown||Match Penalty Coordinator: Ryan Hoffman|
|Female Committee: Mike Dobson||Clinics: Dean Ziegler|
|Supervision Coordinator: Tim Homeniuk||Hockey Alberta Zone Reps: Colin Watt (Zone 2), Ken Dentzien (Zone 3), Chris Rebus (Zone 8)|
|Federation Rep: Duncan MacDougall||Hockey Edmonton Rep: Chris Rebus|
|Senior Referee Assignor: Deion Foster||Senior Lines Assignor: Sanjeev Bhagrath|
|Provincials Coordinator: Ken Dentzien||League Supervisors: Mike Rebus (AJHL), Lance Hyndman (CJHL), ACAC Contact (ACAC)|
|Development Camp/Alberta Cup: Taylor Burzminski||U18 AAA Liaison: Connor Laforge|
|Communications: Grahame Bakay, Darby Readman|
- 2019-2020 Award Winners
- Upcoming Events
- Hackett Scholarship
|Andrew||Carri Hrehorets||[email protected]||(780) 699-4880||[email protected]|
|Athabasca||Ron Bay||[email protected]||(780) 675-2657||[email protected]|
|Barrhead||Heath Klein||[email protected]||(780) 284-3973||[email protected]|
|Beaumont||Lance Hyndman||[email protected]||(780) 667-8114||[email protected]|
|Bon Accord/Gibbons||Ken Dentzien||[email protected]||(780) 499-5068||[email protected]|
|Boyle||Amy Young||[email protected]||(780) 519-7197||[email protected]|
|Bruderheim||Amanda Oldfield||[email protected]||() -||[email protected]|
|Calahoo/RQB||Dagen Qunital||[email protected]||(780) 920-8069||[email protected]|
|Calling Lake||Angela Lightning||[email protected]||(780) 909-8203||[email protected]|
|Calmar||Matt Sargent||[email protected]||(780) 886-4145||[email protected]|
|Camrose||Matt Rolfe||[email protected]||(780) 679-6501||[email protected]|
|CFB Edm.||Rick Dennis||[email protected]||(780) 973-4011 ext. 6148||[email protected]|
|Daysland/Forestburg||Robert Curtis||[email protected]||(403) 323-0173||crcur[email protected]|
|Devon||Joe Reynolds||[email protected]||(587) 336-5295||[email protected]|
|Drayton Valley||Dale Liske||[email protected]||(780) 241-1200||[email protected]|
|Edmonton Female||Mike Dobson||[email protected]||(780) 237-9245||[email protected]|
|Edmonton K of C||Dennis Arski||[email protected]||(780) 237-9245||[email protected]|
|Edmonton Minor||Chris Rebus||[email protected]||(780) 903-8630||[email protected]|
|Edmonton NE||Scott Fulmer||[email protected]||(780) 457-9899||[email protected]|
|Edmonton Non-Contact||Paul Martin||[email protected]||(780) 249-2771||[email protected]|
|Edmonton NW||Duncan MacDougall||[email protected]||(780) 439-3824||[email protected]|
|Edmonton SE||Ron Oscroft||[email protected]||(780) 461-8259||[email protected]|
|Edmonton SW||Gary Greenough||[email protected]||(780) 463-4977||[email protected]|
|Edson||John Downer||[email protected]||(780) 723-3509||[email protected]|
|Enoch||Logan Morin||[email protected]||(780) 966-9393||[email protected]|
|Evansburg||Dale Hofmann||[email protected]||(780) 234-5026||[email protected]|
|Fort McMurray||Steve Niehaus||[email protected]@gmail.com||(780) 715-8730||[email protected]|
|Fort Saskatchewan||Tim Homeniuk||[email protected]||(780) 242-9797||[email protected]|
|Fox Creek||Chris Bignell||[email protected]||(780) 524-6881||[email protected]|
|Grande Cache||Collin Elms||[email protected]||(780) 827-8148||[email protected]|
|Hinton||Greg Nagam||[email protected]||(780) 817-6094||gre[email protected]|
|Holden||Mike Suchy||[email protected]||(780) 265-6790||[email protected]|
|Jasper||Glen Leitch||[email protected]||(780) 852-7731||[email protected]|
|Kikino||Brittany Cardinal||[email protected]||(780) 404-5645||[email protected]|
|Killam||Clayton Docksteader||[email protected]||(780) 385-2454||[email protected]|
|Lamont||ShandaLynn Hopkins||[email protected]||(403) 715-7907||[email protected]|
|Leduc||Bryan Evans||[email protected]||(780) 667-6523||[email protected]|
|Maskwacis||Gayle Raine||[email protected]||(780) 335 -3555||[email protected]|
|Mayerthorpe||Amy McKee||[email protected]||(780) 396-9914||[email protected]|
|Millet||Noah White||[email protected]||(780) 314-8265||[email protected]|
|Morinville/Legal||Ken Dentzien||[email protected]||(780) 499-5068||[email protected]|
|N Alberta Female||Deb Rawluk||[email protected]||(780) 990-4727||[email protected]|
|New Sarepta||Gord Keith||[email protected]||(780) 721-1964||[email protected]|
|Onoway||Barrett Richter||[email protected]||(780) 777-9134||[email protected]|
|Plamondon||Trish Menard||[email protected]||(780) 520-1046||[email protected]|
|Redwater||Dede Gordey||[email protected]||(780) 920-0844||[email protected]|
|Sherwood Park/Strathcona||Ray Keller||[email protected]||(780) 919-1334||[email protected]|
|Smoky Lake||Trevor Tychkowski||[email protected]||(780) 650-5111||[email protected]|
|Spruce Grove||Darcy Carter||[email protected]||(780) 968-4881||darcy_carter[email protected]|
|St. Albert||Joe Becigneul||[email protected]||(780) 460-8710||[email protected]|
|Stony Plain||Killey Vaughan||[email protected]||(780) 720-9179||[email protected]|
|Swan Hills||Brittany Emberley||[email protected]||(780) 333-1413||[email protected]|
|Thorhild||Cody Siemens||[email protected]||(780) 893-9841||[email protected]|
|Thorsby||Blair Hennes||[email protected]||(780) 686-0418||[email protected]|
|Tofield||Gilles Daigle||[email protected]||(780) 904-0360||[email protected]|
|Vegreville||Michael Sturrock||[email protected]||(780) 632-9623||[email protected]|
|Warburg||Ian Drysdale||[email protected]||(780) 264-3145||[email protected]|
|Westlock||Mike Edwards||[email protected]||(780) 349-4454||[email protected]|
|Wetaskiwin||Mac Anderson||[email protected]||(780) 312-9717||[email protected]|
|Whitecourt||Alex Andres||[email protected]||(780) 312-6305||[email protected]|
|Winfield||Woody Johnson||[email protected]||(780) 898-9369||[email protected]|
Here are your 2019-2020 Award Winners:
Awards will be handed out at the October General Meeting.
Duncan McDougall Award
For outstanding service and commitment to the North Region Referee Committee and is least recognized.
Steffen is currently a level 3 official in the North Region who works as a Junior B/Midget AAA referee including at last year’s Mac’s tournament in Calgary. He has worked many games in provincial tournaments and attended the AJHL Elite camp in Red Deer in 2018 and Development camp in 2019. He is currently the Senior assignor for Bantam AAA and Bantam Prep. He was also the co-winner of the Colin Hackett Scholarship in 2020. He is in his final year at McEwan working towards a Bachelor of Science Degree.
For dedication and commitment to minor hockey in the North Region
I coached my son and daughter in Hockey and Ringette for many years, and then was the Director for Midget and Junior C hockey for Calgary NEZ for a few more.
In 1984, I took on a job that involved a lot of travel such that I could no longer make a commitment to coaching. Wanting to stay connected to the game, in 1985 while living in Calgary I went to the dark side and took a referee clinic and went on to register and referee in Calgary for one year.
In 1986 I moved to Edmonton. Living in the west-end, I contacted Duncan MacDougall and started to referee for the Edmonton NWZ. At some point, I also landed up on the KC list. I officiated in Edmonton at the Novice Atom levels at first and then to Peewee and Bantam. I officiated here for four years.
In 1990 I was transferred to Ottawa. While in Ottawa, I progressed to working House League Bantam Midget and Junior C for Kanata Minor Hockey and Bantam AA and Midget AA for Ottawa and District Minor Hockey (ODMHA). It was at this time that I attained my level 3 certification which I still maintain.
In 1994 I moved back to Edmonton. I made the decision at that time that I would not take a spot away from younger officials and no longer work in the “A-program”. I once again contacted Duncan MacDougall and right away started working Bantam and Midget in the EFCL mainly as a caller, and some Junior C as a linesman.
Upon my retirement in early 2006, things started to heat up.
· In the fall of 2006, I took on the job of assigning officials for Peewee and Bantam for NWZ.
· Also, in 2006, I took on the job of co-ordinating the supervision program for NWZ.
· The next year 2007, the EFHL decided to go to the RAMP Assigning system. With my computer background, I was asked to become one of the system administrators.
· In 2008 I became a clinic instructor.
· In 2014 I took on the job of managing the clinic kits and clinic supplies.
Mike Bugaida Award
To a female for outstanding dedication to the North Region
Carmen has been officiating in Alberta for 6 years working CIS and Midget AAA as a referee but her favorite level to officiate is Atom. She has been on the ice with Canadian Olympic team as well. She spends a lot of time doing off ice training to increase her strength, speed and endurance. She is a high school teacher, so she gets to ref some of her students which is fun too.
George McCorry Award
For dedication to the North Region Senior Program
Colin started officiating in the 2000/01 season, and immediately fell in love with it. After several years of officiating as many games as he possibly could, Colin achieved his Level 6 certification in 2012 and has been fortunate enough to have worked 6 national championship tournaments at various levels, as well as to have refereed in the WHL for 10 seasons. Off the ice, Colin has been a member of the North Region executive for over 10 years, sitting on various committees in that time. In addition to his Vice Chairman role within the North Region, Colin has also been the the Provincial Male Development Coordinator for the past 2 seasons. He has previously been chosen as the winner of the Duncan MacDougall award, the Ron Panchyshyn award, and the Chairman’s award within the North Region.
Ron Panchyshyn Award
For Outstanding dedication to the North Region Referee Committee:
Chris started officiating in 2006 following in his father’s footsteps and joined the North Region Executive in 2013 as a director. He has held many different roles since then including Supervisions, Rural Development and Treasurer. Most recently he has become the Minor Committee Chair for the North Region. Chris is also an instructor with Hockey Alberta working with not only the beginner officials but also the senior officials to make us all better in our craft. Chris is currently a Level 5 official and works U Sport, ACAC and the AJHL.
For outstanding service to the North Region Supervision Program
Shelley started officiating way back in 1997. She made the leap to becoming an official after spending, what she believed to be, way too much time in the penalty box for “unjust” calls while playing Tier 1 Ladies hockey after making the switch from the male to female game. Since then, she has been lucky enough to officiate in St. Albert which gave her access to every level from Novice to Junior B on the male side and in Edmonton (senior female). She is a level 4 and still skates in the female program, which includes Canada West and ACAC in Edmonton and Calgary, on a regular basis. She has been lucky enough to work several Team Canada and CWHL games (one in Shenzhen, China in the 18/19 season). She has three children, Kylee (18), Chiara (17), and Nash (15), who are products of their environment and have been officiating for a few years now.
She was lucky enough to receive plenty of supervisions over the years which made her the official she is today. That process is not lost on her, so she tries to do at least 20 supervision each season. She feels extremely fortunate to be a small part of a great organization within the officiating community in St. Albert. Great leaders create a positive culture and in turn, a willingness from those involved to step up and give back. She has been privileged to learn with the likes of Joe Becigneul, Arron Best, Dean Ziegler, Derek Herman, Karen Kost, Lacey Senuk (and others) who’s desired to build something better was infectious. Mentorships and Supervisions are the most effective tool we have, to assist officials in their development no matter what level of hockey they skate. The gift of time goes a long way! She loves being a part of the officiating community and assisting in creating the next generation of great officials in the North Region.
Hockey Alberta Award
For Dedication to the North Region
Taylor has been an official for 12 years and is an original SAMHA official and is still involved with the development of St Albert officials. Currently he is a level 5 official refereeing in the WHL, USPORT, AJHL and ACAC. He is currently the Midget AAA Liason and Male Development Coordinator for the North Region.
Hockey Alberta Award
For Dedication to the North Region
Chris has been an official for 26 years with the last 4 in the North Region. He was the President of the Grande Prairie Referee Association for 4 years and sat on the Peace Zone’s Executive for 15 years. He moved to Edmonton in 2016 and immediately sat on the North Region Executive that year as the Lead Supervision Co-ordinator and held that position for 2 years. This past season he moved into the role of Awards/Rewards and Scholarships. Chris is still active on the ice working as a linesman in Junior B, ACAC Female and CIS Female and also helping out wherever he can in the minor program. He won this award for the Peace Zone in 2012 as well.
Hockey Alberta Award
For Dedication to the North Region
Deion has been a part of the North Zone for the past 8 seasons. He moved to Edmonton in 2012 from Lloydminster where he had started his officiating career in 2007. Since moving to the North Zone, Deion has continually been involved in helping out. He started out with instructing clinics and working with the Female program as a senior assignor. He has also been the MAAA liaison for 2 seasons. Currently, he is the referee assignor for the Senior Program. On a provincial level, he has helped as an instructor with the Hockey Alberta Officials Development Camp for the past 3 summers.
On the ice, Deion currently works as a linesman in the WHL, U-SPORTS, AJHL, Senior AAA and a referee in Jr. B. He has been in the WHL for the past 5 seasons and worked the League Finals in 2019. He was also selected to work the USPORTS Nationals in Lethbridge and the National Jr. A Championship in Brooks in 2019.
Please stay tuned
Officials Development Program
Applications are now being accepted for the 2019-20 Hockey Alberta Officials Development Program. Full information on the requirements, events/dates, and expectations can be found with the application form:
North Region Development Camp Participants (Bold denotes Development Camp Most Promising Official)
- 2019: Kristian Brown, Quinn Dunnigan, Mike Knoblauch, Scott Kramers, Kael Maltais, Steffen Shaigec
- 2018: Brandon Geiger, Chris Gordeyko, Brody McGrath, Zac Moss, Logan Purdy
- 2017: Scott Brandabura, Brandon Cimino, Jonathan Kikuchi, Brian MacDonald, Connor Newcombe, Sheldon Skinner, Alex Verhaeghe
- 2016: Mac Anderson, Cassandra Gregory, Greg Irish, Cody McElroy, Darby Readman
- 2015: Dennis Arski, Joey Balko, Dallas Bozek, Taylor Burzminski, Leasure Forbes, Tyler Sawatski
- 2014: Codey Brace, Craig Edhart, Jordan Ewaskiw, Kurtis Eykelbosh, Cole Feth, Devon Kohlhauser, Nolan Varley
- 2013: Brayden Arcand, Rob Cowan, Braxton Fox, Alex Homer, Kyle Hudon, Chris Rebus
- 2012: Eric Bell, Kyle Brisebois, Jared Cummings, Jeff Howe, Geoff Klompas, Philip Yamkovy
- 2011: Alex Becigneul, Steven Cousens, James Gregory, George Hart, Romus Lam, Brett McElroy
- 2010: Stefan Brown, Chris Fox, Kyle Kowalski, Connor LaForge, Lucas Martin-Hudcec, Ryan Mason, Wiiliam Norton
- 2009: Tyler Bentley, Jon Gaal, Tim Krueger, Fraser Lawrence, Peter Leveille, Ryan Novak, Kevin Ward
- 2008: Jonathan Button, Shane Hoeber, Craig Husselby, Scott Knibbs, Jesse Rowe, Ryan Wass
- 2007: Sanjeev Bhagrath, Greg Chornohus, Derek Crowley, Dave Duncan, Jared Mackey, Colin Watt, Corey Yestal
- 2006: Brett Babkirk, Matt McFadyen, Tyler Olynyk
- 2005: Darcy Carter, Jason Liber, Stephen Mardy, Curtis Marouelli, Brad Scott, Darren Spurgeon, Dustin Zelenak
- 2004: Jeff Johnston, Paul Kreuger, Ryan Petryshyn, Larry Suchy, Scott Yadach
- 2003: Trevor Davis, Blair Kreiner, Scott Sharun, Jonathan Spurgeon, Jason Theiss, Scott Tracy
- 2002: Matt Albers, Blake Bradburn, Drandon Dombroski, Cory Kokotailo, Kris Liber, Doris Wyss
- 2001: Chris Carlson, Jill Clulow, Shayne Davis, Nick Hennes, Dean Mumby, Marc Swerda, Dwayne Yakubow
- 2000: Ryan Agar, Chad Assmus, Mithc Carriere, Mark Charney, Scott Hennig, Shawn Lechky, Theresa Llorente, Kumail Moledina, Kirk Tremblay
- 1999: Dan Coles, Blake Hamer, Curtis Howe, Trevor Hykaway, Denis Landry, Clay Lindsay, Warren McKay, Cory Moser, David Moulds, Dan Stephen
- 1998: Bryce Cumming, Peter Duchnij, Greg Fuchs, Tim Homeniuk, Darrell Jenkins, Grant McFarlane, Jordan Robinson, Wade Rolfe, Tom Trottier
- 1997: Shelley Coolidge, Darcy Cooper, Leigh Crockett, Craig DeCoursey, Jason Fuger, Ken Gibbs, Bryce Horbachewski, Justin Jutras, Chris Obacz, Ryan Slozka, Richard Tremblay
- 1996: Kelly Castiday, Steve Cicchinni, Ian Elm, Brad Hoffman, Travis Kerr, Norm Lamother, Doug MacKay, Brian Maksymetz, Brian Morris, Fraser Neek, Mike Normandeau
- 1995: Brendin Fletcher, Jason Caplette, Herman Costa, Keith Harkness, Carl Hoff, Lance Hyndman, Ross Peck, Norm Shaw, Bryce Young, Derek Zalaski
- 1994: John Cannon, Dean Laschowski, Todd Pettinger, Richard Plante, Gerard Rajotee, Steve Rooke, Paul Schmidt, Kevin Skogstad
- 1993: Jerry George, Derek Herman, Richard Iwaniuk, Brace Klein, Dave Lascelle, William Lauder, Phil Meagher, Jeff Nicholas, Warren Weir, Rob Zack
- 1992: Chris Clarkson, Darryl Davis, Ken Dentzien, Greg Donnelly, Darren Gibbs, Rick Manysiak, Jeff Michaud, Angie Mudry, John Simmons, Trevor Spaulding
- 1991: Gary Bushnell, Guy Doucet, Rob Garth, Charles Lavallee, Dean Panas, Marc Roy, Darren Van Slyke, John Woodhouse, Preston Yachimec
- 1990: Jim Armitstead, Ken Baird, Darrin Bauer, Dave Butler, Robert Eisenbart, Greg Kempin, Doug Paterson, Dwayne Smith, Marty Tignstad, Greg Williams
- 1989: Kevin Acheson, Richard Derzaph, Alan Dumanceaux, Brent Keown, Michael Pankovich, Layne Wilson
- 1988: Len Freeman, Barry Goertz, John Holden, Kevin Kowalski, Al Magan, Real Ouellett, Dan Pankovich, Ian Reynolds, Don Ryan, Mark Williams, Ken Zemanek
- 1987: Glen Agnew, Claude Cauchon, Bryan Cox, Carter Cox, Roger Kramers, Gilbert Latreille, Mike Leggo, Ron Morgan, John Potter, Bob Schmidt, Darren Weeks
- 1986: Ken Ames, Kerry Boston, Gary Hansen, Brian Horrocks, Randy Klym, Mike Ratusniak, Chris Ringstad, Darryl Schmidt, Darrel Shymanski, Kevin Weder, Chris Wild, Monty Wood
- 1985: Roger Kolberg, Gord Mark, Jeordie Maxwell, Jim Pankovich, Leo Pilon, Bob Porter, John Publow, Mark Shaul, Miles Spencer, Todd Swerda, Michael Wasuita, Doug Wegner
Hockey Alberta utilizes an online Supervision Form to help with the development and growth of on-ice officials. The form can be viewed by clicking the on the button below. The form is filled out by the supervisor, in consultation with the official being assessed. The supervisor must enter his/her email address and the address of the official in the box titled "Forward to Email(s)". Once the supervisor clicks to Submit, the form will automatically be sent to the official, supervisor, Supervision Coordinator and the North Region.
Colin Hackett Scholarship
In November 2016, the North Region lost Colin Hackett, an inspirational mentor and official, after a two-year battle wth colon cancer. Colin became an inspiration to many after his diagnosis, as he would officiate games days after undergoing chemo therapy treatment and continued to mentor younger officials. He also refereed for the World’s Longest Hockey Game while wearing his chemotherapy pack and undergoing treatment during the game. Off the ice Colin gave a motivational speech to more than 2000 people at the Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer and then rode for 200 km with the group. During his courageous two-year battle with colon cancer, Colin continued to be a mentor to many officials and volunteered his time as Vice Chair.