Social Media Policy
These guidelines are applicable to all members of the Hockey Alberta’s Officials community, including committee members, and on-ice and off-ice officials. The guidelines include communications through all social media channels, electronic messaging (such as texting), Internet media and websites.
Officials are to conduct themselves in appropriate and professional manners at all times. Once comments are posted or sent they cannot be retracted. Ultimately, each individual official is solely responsible for his/her comments.
- Use your best judgment – THINK before posting or sending.
- Comments of an inappropriate nature which are detrimental to Hockey Alberta, a team, fellow officials or any individual are not tolerated and are subject to disciplinary action.
- Do not divulge confidential information about an individual or team, including business or game strategy that could give someone else a competitive advantage.
- Do not discuss injury information about any player.
- If requested to participate in an online network, as a direct result of your affiliation with or participation in the Hockey Alberta Officials Committee, the Commitee recommends that you request approval from your Region Chair or the Officials Committee Chair.
- On-ice officials are not to post on social media within two hours of the start of a game and one hour following completion.
The Hockey Alberta Officials Committee will investigate reported violation(s) of this policy in the manner set out in the Discipline Policy for other types of violations. If the investigation determines that a violation has occurred, the appropriate Region Committee or the Officials Committee will impose appropriate discipline, which could include a suspension.